Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Paint For Altec Horns

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Steve Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2002
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen this kicked around before, but can't find it now -- what kind of paint do you guys like using on Altec horns.

    I just used Rustoleum Flat Black on a pair of 511's -- not too happy with the results.

    Suggestions? Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use Krylon satin black, or ultra flat black, buy both and paint some metal to see which you prefer!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Steve Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2002
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, I'll give them a both a try. SRT

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am going with House of Kolor candy apple red over a aluminum primer.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Large or small format horns? The large are usually painted the typical theater gray.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Never mind. I re-read the original post.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Murray Keidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Steve,
    I normaly use Powder Coating on the 511b horns. The finish is excellent and very hardy. Using powder coat also means you do not have to spend time cleaning and pre-paring the horn for painting.

    I also dampen the 511b with a sheet of felt on all four external surfaces after the powder coating is done. The damping removes much of the inherent resonances that the horns have.

    Please call if you need any further details.
    Murray.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Steve Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2002
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What we have here is a redneck in Atlanta talking to an Audio Engineer in Queensland, Australia -- about paint for 50 year old Altec horns -- is this internet thing great, or what?

    The powder coat sounds like it might be interesting. I?d like to test it. Is it an automotive item? Where would I find it? What brand?

    I?ve dampened these horns with about ?? of silicon (behind the flange) -- seems to eliminate most of the ?cow bell? effect.

    Thanks, Steve

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I build custom Harleys for a past time (Started twenty years before Orange County Choppers) and have been powder coating on all the frames. You can find a powder coating company in the yellow pages. Find a small company because the big ones charge too much. The only problem with powder coating a part is that you can, and usally do, get little imperfections in the surface coat. They will look like little pin *****s sticking up. It is good stuff though. I am painting my horns because I can control the surface - and well, I have the booth, guns, and paint. Cheers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.